Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Project Tagback

Okay, so let's talk music. I was thinking about music and I was thinking about how sometimes those who visited Faery would bring back songs with them. Anyone who has the fey sensibilities knows what I'm talking about. There are some songs that are brought through across the veil and...they just ARE. There's something about them that is a little (or a lot) dangerous and sublime and definitely immortal. They're discovered or caught more than written. This is that musician as shaman thing. All hail the Bardic Arts!

And it's always the music. The music is the immortal part. The person may give them words, but the words are ours...they're mortal. They will die and be reborn in another form. So, here's what I'm thinking.

One of the places where you find some of these immortal songs is in sacred music. Some of the tunes are ancient, but a lot of them now have Christian words that have been layered on top of them. As mentioned, the words are the mortal part. They will die and be reborn in different forms over and over again and that's all good. I say, we should find these faery gifts and take them back. Hence...Project Tagback.

My theory here is that if we can identify these songs, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out from which faery kingdom they derive and we should be able to take them back without a whole lot of difficulty and maybe with minimal changes.

Here's my first contribution. The Hymn "Ecstasy," sometimes called "Oh when will I see Jesus?" Now...I think that this is probably a gift from the Sylphs. It feels like it is from them to me. And it doesn't need much modification. If you don't know that song, Sally Rogers has a great version.

Ecstasy Project Tagback Version
May I seek the holy mother
Below and high above
And from the flowing fountain
Drink ever-lasting love
O' had I wings I would fly away and be at rest
And I praise her in her bright abode

When e're you meet with troubles
Or trials on your way
Then cast your thoughts to her
And don't forget to pray
O' had I wings I would fly away and be at rest
And I praise her in her bright abode

Gird on the mighty armour
Of trust and hope and love
And when the conflict comes
It will carry you above
O' had I wings I would fly away and be at rest
And I praise her in her bright abode

Tag back

No comments: